Thursday, January 17, 2013

Rape, Power, Castration, Abortion, and Control


Scalzi, who's blog I enjoy, posted this fan letter to certain conservative politicians a while back, but I wanted to write about it and a couple of other things going on in my world. I know, I know. I haven't much talked about poly but it's mostly because things are quiet, sort of a hazard of the lifestyle. Conscious engagement and self responsibility sort of smooth out the drama thing a bit.

So back to Scalzi. Read it and come back. I won't rehash this excellent piece of satire. I will however launch into some other stuff I have read recently since I have had this injustice on my mind. How are men not to know what rape is and isn't in a society were the loudest voices are telling them it's ok?

Currently, much of the loud talk about rape is still making it our fault. Legitimate rape is a joke. It's the kind of thing that really says it's ok to "put women back in their place" as though our very presence is enough to set some men off. Why do some men feel compelled to commit this intimate act of violence and others do not? Is it chemical? Ideological? Environmental? Is there a rape gene? Why is there no science? Because it's just not as important to fund as war.

You would think, in a society that claims to value the lives of the unborn so much, that they would think further and protect those that are here already. Some would say and have said that the minute I get pregnant it's my duty to protect that child and die if necessary. Even if that child has to live in poverty because my wages aren't enough to cover basic needs? What about not being emotionally and mentally fit? After being raped I don't believe I had the capacity to live a healthy life and be responsible for another life?
Then there is custody, apparently in 31 states deny protection for women by allowing rapists visitation and custody. What? Anyone who would apply to useful social discourse would see that if you are against abortion offer viable alternatives to preventing unwanted pregnancy. Better reproductive services, education, and control. Beef up laws and make rape really a crime. According to the RAINN website 3 out of 100 reported rapists make it to jail. On a first offense that is 5 years max but more often that group gets out on good behavior in just 2 years. Statistically, except for serial rapists the repeat of offense decreases to 0. Now, here is the thing. We are talking about 100 reported rapes. This is a crime, in which, as much as 54% go unreported. I would think that if someone had raped before and been caught he would take every effort to protect himself from being caught again. Maybe jail rape becomes a deterrent...I doubt it. Kick the dog is the more likely outlet for such shame and rage as one would find in the violated male.

When football players are allowed to get away with it, as in Steubenville, they grow up to believe that anything they want will be covered because they are heroes. Really? And yet it happens in pro ball. How is this a good message? Don't get me started on fashion and other media that makes this ok.

Feminists are still pissed off because we are STILL being treated like second class citizens but expected to bear the brunt of blame and shame for abuses committed against us and the responsibility for making men behave. Don't believe we are held responsible for a man's behavior? How about what the Koran tells women? Tell me that I must wear a burqa and I will point to the rate of rape and domestic violence in those countries which currently employ them. How about female genital mutilation? It is not a religious edict but a social one meant to keep the property fresh and pure and to reduce the rate of arousal in women. It's happening all over the world even here. If that isn't our bodies taking punishment so men will behave I don't know what is. Rape is the socially accepted tool to drive women back into their homes, silent, frightened and under the control of men. Men who would use our bodies for their playthings, without regard to our feelings, or needs with only an invisible god to turn to for our suffering. And by the way god hates us too. Read your bible sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment