Friday, May 10, 2013

What being a dom taught me about being human.


Ok, I wasn't a dom for long, but there are some very useful things I learned while doing it that helped me build better relationships.

1. Dom's ideally serve their subs, so, it is in my best interest to find out what they want. I have tried it my way, as therapeutic retribution, and while I felt better it wasn't as good for "him" and that did not make for a successful play session. Even Lao Tzu says that to be a good master one must serve. If I am to master myself, service to others is useful, ask any 12 stepper. In regular relationships this works too, knowing what your partner wants and needs helps, for that matter knowing what you want and need is critical. How do you know? Ask. That is how it works in BDSM. Don't just ask what they need but if they need you to do that for them for some reason.

2. Knowing one's limits. I have limits to how much cruelty I can or want to inflict on another person. This was interesting to me because, initially, I felt so angry I was afraid of what I might do. I quickly found there is a limit to the suffering I can watch. Also, I noticed that conscious application of suffering meant normal suffering was not the random and inevitable event I had come to understand it was. If I had control over my actions enough to cause it intentionally with the consent of my partner I could control the behavior, I committed, that caused suffering. Rather than just saying, "It's just the way I am."

3. I'm actually a pacifist. I found that being in a consensually violent relationship, the more I got to know my subs, the less I wanted to be violent against them. I came to respect their feelings more because my focus was to serve some need of theirs. I saw them as human and in doing so could not willingly cause them pain, even though they wanted me too. This bleeds into my normal life because now I actively try to see others as human beings, especially those I don't agree with or like very much.

4. It helps with my forgiveness process. It taught me that I was capable of the same cruelty and abuse I had suffered at the hands of others non-consentually. That somehow that made us equal. It was then my job to find ways of managing my nature in more responsible ways. If I could forgive myself for "allowing" the abuse to happen or creating abuse, I could, theoretically, forgive them for the same. I do sometimes get angry about having to do so much damn work to be responsible when others could not or would not but that's a personal resentment I am having to work out.

5. Pain happens, my attitude makes it suffering. The truth of the matter is that life is pain. Events happen that hurt, disillusion, and demoralize us. I can be immobilized by it or not. My attitude about failure changed. For example, I realized that failure is just a dead end in the maze, not a commentary on the usefulness of my nature or my right to be here.  Sometimes, the very act of wanting things not to change, causes my suffering. Do I want pain? Not so much, but pain, like anger is an indication that something must move. Almost always that can be done by me for me.







No comments:

Post a Comment