Friday, May 24, 2013

Parenting Revisited: Family Meeting

Ok a few posts back I mentioned that my son was coming to stay with us. He seems to feel at home and has most handily fitted himself to the rhythm of our lives. For him, Mad Science and Prof are dads #2 and #3 and our friends and family here have been loving and kind to him. He feels like he can be himself here and that is what I had hoped for.

We sat down and had family meeting last weekend and it was casual and straight forward. We talked about our hopes and our expectations. We discussed his goals in the long and short term, and with his input worked out a plan to help him get there.

This weekend he and Mad Science are going camping together and looking forward to the time alone. Watching them interact cemented my suspicions that Mad Science will be a great father/role model. It has been interesting for me to stand idly by and watch them form friendship together.

In other news my daughter and her husband are soon expecting a baby girl. She seems very happy with the arrangement and I am happy for her. We don't talk as much as I would like but I owe that to nerves on my part and busy-ness on hers.

The Atheist is off to work in Orlando for a month leaving The Griffin behind to care for the dog, the house, and to nurse the broken foot. His separation anxiety has caused some issues but I think once the change begins he will be fine again and appreciate his situation much more upon his return.

Prof will be down this weekend to keep me company while the guys are off bonding so I am also looking forward to a soft cushy weekend of snuggling and enjoying my new kindle. I hope everyone enjoys their holiday weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment